TLA’s webinar series seeks to expand the association’s CLE offerings by providing timely information on issues of concern to transportation attorneys from the leaders in the field. TLA members, non-members and non-attorneys are welcome to attend.
SCOTUS WATCH: A TIMELY UPDATE ON A SEMINAL SUPREME COURT CASE THAT COULD SEISMICALLY IMPACT FEDERAL PREEMPTION AND BROKERAGE JURISPRUDENCE OVERALL
The Miller v. CH Robinson case is now before the Supreme Court, on appeal from the Ninth Circuit. That case is a seminal one, that could have a resounding and reverberating impact throughout casualty and cargo litigation involving freight brokers. This excellent panel, with deep involvement in the case and its evolution, will discuss the background of the case, and the important legal issues that permeate it for brokers, carriers and shippers. The panel will summarize the positions of both sides in the principal case, along with certain of the amicus filings. The panel will discuss the various issues related to FAAA preemption that pervade broker casualty and cargo litigation, including the “safety exception” and its penumbrae. The panel will also touch upon the common law standards that may apply in the Supreme Court’s consideration and the divergence of the various states on these points. The panel will also make predictions on how the Supreme Court could crystalize this fluctuating body of law. The panel will also discuss how the favorable language in the Ninth Circuit opinion, in cases where the safety exception is not implicated, can give practitioners an advantage. Finally, the panel will present an up to the minute update on where the case stands procedurally and provide insight into how the case made its way to the Supreme Court. There could not be a more timely panel. You won’t want to miss it!
- Discuss the background of the Miller v. CH Robinson case, and the important legal issues that permeate it for brokers, carriers and shippers
- Discuss the various issues related to FAAA preemption that pervade broker casualty and cargo litigation, including the “safety exception” and its penumbrae
Before You Register for a TLA Webinar
- TLA applies for Continuing Legal Education credit from every State in which it is required.
- Please be aware that some states do not allow webinars as an approved format for continuing education.
- All participants who complete the evaluation following the webinar will be provided with the uniform certificate of attendance.
- TLA will be using Zoom to administer its webinars.
- If you are not a member of TLA, or do not have a user profile, you will need to create one.
- Once you register and check out, you should receive a confirmation email of your payment (non-members) and registration.
- An email with instructions on how to access the webinar will be sent in a separate email on the day before the webinar is scheduled for.
- If you do not receive an email with instructions on how to access the webinar by that day, you can email [email protected]or call us at (913) 222-8652.
Member Price: Complimentary
Non-member Price: $50
1. SIGN IN: To register for this webinar you must sign in. If you are not a member, or do not currently have an account, please create one.
2. BEGIN REGISTRATION: Select the "Register Myself" button to begin the registration process.
3. EDIT REGISTRANT INFORMATION: Click the "Edit Registrant Information" link to update your contact information.
4. REGISTRATION OPTIONS: Your price will automatically update based on your member type.
5. CHECK OUT: After payment is provided, a confirmation email will be emailed to the email address you specify.
- You will be able to register up to the day of the event which is 12/16/2021
This webinar will start at 1PM CST / 2PM EST
If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected] or call us at (913) 222-8652.